Stretching from Butcher Corner in the direction of the Talbot Hotel, and originally a Roman road, Yorkersgate has (or has had) the most prestigious buildings in Malton including the Corn Exchange, York House, The Subscription Rooms (and Mechanics Institute), and a number of other prominent buildings recently occupied by banks. The street is characterised by a general 'Victorian' look, though behind these facades are structures reportedly originating back to the 1600s and probably before. Regrettably, the brickwork has generally become stained by traffic pollution.
Yorkersgate runs approximately parallel with the river Derwent and a few properties had direct river access but Water Lane and other routes gave general access to the once bustling wharves and river front.
At their meeting on Wednesday, 29th May 1872 the Malton Board of Health agreed to flag Yorkersgate between Chapel Lane and Saville Street 
See the Gallery at the bottom of the page.
 York Herald, 1 June 1872
What follows has been taken from Thomas Baker's 'Memories of Malton and Some of its Inhabitants in the 'Sixties and Onwards'. The date of writing is assumed to be the 1920s - 'sixties' refers to the 1860s!
Around the corner in Yorkersgate, the shop now occupied by Mr. Freer had for its tenant Mr. Jonathan Rieveley, a flour and provision merchant, who eventually became the licensee of the Old Globe Hotel in the Market Place. The jeweller's shop next door to Mr. Freer was then occupied by Mr. W. Newby, and afterwards by Mr. Spiegelhalter. Then came three or four small combined houses and shops - one occupied by Mr. Cressey as fruiterer, and the others tenanted by the Misses Shepherd, as confectioners. These were demolished and the now commodious buildings occupied by Mr. Fowles, outfitter, and Mr. Oldfield's cafe were erected, and consequently great improvements effected. The shop recently occupied by Messrs. Goldie and Co. was a temperance hotel tenanted by Mr. Geo. Dinsdale, who also acted as a postmaster and letter carrier, and there was a letter box in the wall round the corner at the bottom of Chapel Lane, where letters were posted. Eventually the postal business was removed to the Butcher Corner, and Mr. James Sellars became the first official postmaster, and had for his clerk Mr. Tom Lister, who also acted as letter carrier and delivered the whole of the Malton letters single handed. Of course there were several rural postmen, amongst whom I remember Mr. Billy Moore, Mr. Megginson, Mr. Sterricker, Mr. Dresser, Mr. John Maw and Mr. C. Hall, all of whom had long service with the post office. The temperance hotel was eventually converted into a shop, and the first tenants were Messrs. Hart and Hill, gents' outfitters, who also had a hatters' shop on the opposite side of Yorkersgate, next to the 'Messenger' office. Mr. Goldie succeeded Messrs. Hart and Hill on these premises.
Up Chapel Lane, Mr. John Snarry, veterinary surgeon had a shoeing forge. This later on was taken over by Mr. James Yorke a Crimean War veteran and hero. Close by were two cottages, one occupied by Mrs. Bankes and the other by Mrs. Calvert, who had a public mangle, with a good connection. A little higher up were stables belonging to Mr. Henry Smithson, proprietor of the 'Malton Messenger,' who liked a bit of horse dealing as well as printing.
Mr. William Wrangham had the wine and spirit vaults, now 'The Board'; and Mr. Blanche, dentist, occupied the house adjoining; he later removed to the house next to the Asembly Rooms, and Mr. Wrangham himself, who then lived at Athol House, Norton, came to live next to his spirit stores.
Where Mr. Blair's grocery shop is now, was then a saddler's shop occupied by Mr. John Nelson, who later removed to the high side of the market; and he was followed by Mr. Richardson, a grocer. Afterwards, Mr. Thomas Calvert took the shop and designated it as the 'Deventio Clothing Establishment.' Mr. Calvert previously occupied the shop now tenanted by Mr. Sedman, in Saville Street. At the opposite side of Saville Street, the premises now occupied by Mr. Schofield's spirit stores and cafe, was a drapery establishment carried on by Mr. Langstaff; and then came Mr. Martin Dodsworth, joiner and builder; Mrs. Kirby, basket maker; Mr. John Killen, bootmaker; and Mr. George Ineson, tinsmith. As boys, when leaving Mr. Josua Dunwell's school, we used to say when passing these shops - 'Ineson Killen Kirby [with] Dodsworth's Langstaff.' There have not been many structural alterations in this part of Yorkersgate. The Corn Exchange, now the Exchange Cinema, has certainly been altered internally. Up Chancery Lane, originally called Pudding Lane, Mr. Arthur Jackson, solicitor had his offices, and also the County Court business was transacted there. Mr. W. Botterill, late clerk to the Norton Urban District Council, was clerk to Mr. Jackson. Eventually Mr. Jackson took into partnership Mr. Richardson, who also acted as Borough Bailiff. Later, Mr. S. Ridge joined the partnership, and the firm was then styled 'Jackson, Richardson and Ridge,' and in course of time ceased to exist, Mr. Ridge at the time of his death being in partnership with Mr. A.E.B. Soulby. Mr. George Hardy, formerly a schoolmaster, was the actuary at the Savings Bank, and he was succeeded by Mr. W. Botterill, and then Mr. G.W. Suggitt, who at the present time holds that position. Mr. Henry Etty Soulby lived next door to the Bank at Sussex House, where Mr. Williamson, dentist, now has his surgery. It was here that a supposed case of trance occurred. Mr. Frederick Williams was in residence at that time, and his wife died, but her husband and the doctors were under the suspicion that she was in a trance, and as a consequence the body remained unburied for a fortnight. The strange case created a lot of excitement at the time, which would be about 1877.
Mr. Robert Bankes had his tailor's workshop on the right-hand side of the lane leading up to the now extinct Old Globe Hotel. He resided at the Assembly Rooms, and at his death the family continued to live there until quite recently, Miss Clara Bankes being the caretaker and librarian of the Institute for many years. The Assembly Rooms are still there, but plans have now been adopted and work put in hand for considerable alterations and improvements to be carried out whereby accommodation for theatrical performances and large social function will be enabled to take place. Mr. Bankes was a most precise gentleman both in language, dress and deportment. He generally took exercise in the evenings by marching to and fro between Market Street and Saville Street. He was very erect and soldier-like in his bearing, and strode along with decided step, giving one the impression that he 'was marching to the strains of a military band playing the Dead March.'
Next to the Assembly Rooms lived Mr. W. Danby, a ? and undertaker, whose workshop was just behind these Rooms. Mr. Joshua Dunwell occupied the adjoining premises, and he had a large boarding school for boys. When I attended this school there would be between 20 and ?0 boarders, as well as a goodly number of day scholars - both boys and girls. When the boarders marched down to the Wesleyan Chapel on Sundays, two abreast, they made a brave and effective show. Before Mr. Dunwell started there, it was an old-established coaching house, and I believe it was called the White Horse Hotel. There was a large room in the playground where the boarders used to dine, and the approach for day pupils for school purposes was through a road behind the Assembly Rooms. The Rev. Dinsdale Young was a day scholar at that time, and I have no doubt he will remember the very primitive and severe methods Mr. Dunwell adopted in demanding discipline from his pupils - methods that would not be tolerated at the present day. If he saw two boys ?king, he would throw his cane at them, - and he had unerring aim - and they then had to take the cane to him at his desk, and he would put one on the back of the other, and march them round the school applying his cane to the seat of the rider and then transpose the boys and adopt the same ? on the other rider. Another way of inflicting punishment on a boy who was discovered breaking the rules of the school was to place his foot on to a form and then hoist the delinquent on to his stomach across his knee, and apply his cane to his seat, thus causing the youngster to kick out his legs. This he termed as 'a swimming lesson.' Eventually he left Malton, and commenced a school at Westow hall. Miss Buxton succeeded him, transferring her ladies' school from lower down Yorkersgate. Dr. W.T. Colby, after Miss Buxton vacated the premises, became tenant, and the surgery is still there, but occupied by Drs. Walker and Parkin.
The York Union Bank was next door, the manager being Mr. Thompson, father of Dr. Herbert Thompson, the well know musical critic of Leeds. The bank was eventually transferred to premises now occupied by Messrs. Barclays and Messrs. Pearsons and Ward, solicitors, are now the tenants. The three private houses at the opposite side of Market Street are te same as in the days of yore, and a little higher up the street were some steps which led to the Talbot Hotel yard. A small cottage stood at the bottom of the steps and it was almost obscured by a large lilac tree, and here lived a person of the name of Joey Munn. The cottage was eventually demolished and the road widened and straightened. St. Michael's school was erected somewhere about 1865 or 1866; and the clump of trees farther up was not then enclosed. The cannon which now stands there, near to the recently-erected War Memorial, was removed from the Market Place, to its present site, and the trees and cannon surrounded by palisades. This was undoubtedly a great improvement, and added picturesqueness to the approach of the town from York way. At the opposite side of the road Messrs. Slater, florists and seedsmen, occupied a shop; and the space between this shop and the Talbot Hotel was a waste piece of ground from which you had an uninterrupted view of the River Derwent and the railway, and beyond to Whitewall. The shop was later pulled down, and the present wall built, which also added to the neatness of that part of the town. The Talbot was tenanted by Mr. Edward Rose; following him were Mr. Peart, Mr. Fitchett, Mrs. Knight, and now Mr. Grant. There was a 'bus attached to the hotel until some few years ago which constantly plied between the hotel and the railway station for the convenience of its customers. Many commercial travellers stayed at the hotel in those days, and if the 'bus was hurriedly required for some customer and happened to be at the station waiting for the arrival of a train, it was the custom for the boots to go on the terrace which overlooks the station and blow a horn, denoting to the driver of the 'bus that it was urgently needed to convey the customer and his luggage to the station to catch the next train. Formerly there was a canopy extending from the hotel door to the edge of the footpath, supported by two pillars, thus enabling all who entered or departed by cab or carriage to do so in stormy weather without getting wet. On the canopy were plants of flowers, shrubs, etc., which always had a pleasing and smart appearance. Adjoining the Talbot was a school for young ladies, conducted by the Misses. Spence and then the Misses Hall. When St, Michael's School was completed, the school was removed there.
Mr. William Simpson, solicitor, and Clerk to the Magistrates, had his offices where Mr. Arthur Hall is now, and he lived at York House, where Mrs. W. Cooper now resides. The next house was in the occupation of Mr. John Snarry, veterinary surgeon, who had his stables in the garden behind the house. He also did a large business in horse dealing, especially hunters. Mr. Samuel Waud had a draper's shop where Messrs. Williams' Garage is now; and down the yard where Messrs. Kirk and Medd now have their Sale Rooms, was a gymnasium fitted up with every kind of gymnastic apparatus, where young men spent most of their evenings during winter. Amongst the members of the club it may be of interest to name a few of the leading spirits: Fred Waud, Geo. Read, Geo. Moon, Jim Shepherd, Ted Soulby, Tom and Coultas Dodsworth, Jonathan Wardill, Mosey Williamson, William Tinsley, myself, and many others, who were apprentices in the town, and left on completing their apprenticeship. The shop now occupied by Mr. Hoyle, hair dresser, was tenanted by Messrs. W. and C. Hall, saddlers. The china shop next door had for its tenant Mr. John Jackson, who eventually retired from business and went to reside at Brook Bank, Norton, and lived to the ripe old age of 100 - the only centenarian that I remember in this district. Messrs. Wilson and Wilson took over the business (Mr. Wilson, joiner, and Mr. Wilson, painter, both of Norton, being the partners.) The partnership was dissolved and carried on by Mr. Wilson, painter, as sole proprietor. The succeeding tenant was Mr. John Willows, who traded as Willows, Wilson, and Co. Mr. Ayres was the successor. The premises adjoining were occupied by Messrs. Walker and Langbourne, solicitors; and then came Messrs. Bower, Hall, and Co., bankers. Eventually the whole of these premises were demolished, and the East Riding bank erected the present commodious banking establishment on the site. In course of time, Messrs. Beckett and Co. became proprietors, and the bank is now merged into the Westminster Bank - one of the great five. The first manager I remember was Mr. Reed, followed by Mr. Charles Priestley. Messrs. Walker and Langbourne owing to the razing of these premises, remove dinto rooms over the shop occupied by Mr. Joseph Coning, and now tenanted by Messrs. Collinson, who followed Mr. J.W. Clarke, grocer, &c. The adjoining property was occupied by Mr. Henry Pickering as a drapery establishment. Mr. Pickering was well known and highly respected, and was of a philanthropic disposition. On retirement he built the house up Castle Howard Road which stands nearly opposite to the Reservoir. This was the first house erected on Castle Howard Road, and is built of stone. He belonged to the Quaker Society. Messrs. Marshall and Pullon succeeded to Mr. Pickering's business, and they added a tailoring department to that o dressmaking and general drapery. Mr. W. Leatham commenced business on his own behalf at the shop now occupied by Messrs. Dent and Sons, in Wheelgate; eventually he became a boot and shoe factor, and later traded as Leatham and Co. When Messrs. Marshall and Pullon discontinued business, the post Office took over the premises, and removed from Butcher Corner. This afforded the postal authorities more accommodation in their increasing work. Mr. Ashwell was then the postmaster and of ocurse had the responsibility of this removal. After a period of some 20 years, it again became necessary to acquire larger and more commodious premises, and the present Post Office in Wheelgate was erected, and this time Mr. Tyford was the 'lucky' postmaster who had the responsibility of this important removal and arranging the postal and telegraphic business in the new premises.
Next to Messrs. Marshall and Pullon's was the Barclays Bank, and these premises have recently been re-built, and together with Mr. Verron's hairdressing saloon give a better appearance to this part of Yorkersgate.
The George Hotel was in the hands of Mr. John Davison, followed by his son William, and on the death of the latter the hotel was carried on for some years by his widow and daughters and later by Mr. John Berry, who married one of the daughters. The lane leading down to the river was then uncovered, but during Mr. William Davison's tenancy more room was required for his commercial business, and the archway was thrown over, thus adding more bedrooms. It was the custom in those days to take horses down to the river to give them water and wash their legs, and for safety a wooden fence was erected in the river in order that horses might not get out of their depth.
Mr. William Smiddy, plumber, occupied the shop now in the tenancy of Mr. Blanchard. Mr. Halliday following Mr. Smiddy also as a plumber. Mr. Buxton, ironfounder, lived next door, and the room now occupied as a corn factor's office was an implement showroom. Mr. Buxton's foundry was situate near to where Messrs. King had their flour mills, adjoining the Gasworks. On Mr. Buxton's death, his son John carried on the business for some time, and then it became extinct. Miss Buxton established a school for young ladies in the room which was used as a showroom, and in course of time removed her school to the premises vacated by Mr. ?Dunwell. Messrs. Soulby, Ridge, and Elston now have their offices in the upper part of the house. Mr. Longbotham, chemist was the neighbouring tenant, and the business has recently changed hands. Mr. Birdsall, tailor, occupied the shop next to Longbotham's, and here again structural alterations to premises were made, and in place of two or three shops adjoining, larger premises were erected, and Mr. ?Staniland, jeweller, removed his business from Market Street to the new premises where Altham's Tea Stores and Mr. ? Sheffield's tobacconist shop now stand. Mr. T. Leefe, ironmonger, was then proprietor of the well-known business standing adjacent, and at his demise, his son Oswald continued until his sad and lamented death. It is now carried on by his widow and managed by her son Peter. Adjoining these premises was an archway leading down to a wharf belonging to Messrs. Cleathing and Bell, coal, seed, and corn merchants. The archway was eventually built up, and is now part of Messrs. Longster's private house and shop. Prior to Messrs. Longster's becoming tenants, Messrs. Slater and Sons occupied the florists shop, they having removed their business from the top of Yorkersgate, which stood opposite to the cannon.
The 'Messenger' Office and premises stand where they did in 1860, and the business is still in the hands of the Smithson family. Mr. Henry Smithson was the founder of the 'Malton Messenger' in 1854, and it continues to enjoy the large circulation, for a country town, of about 7,000 copies weekly. The writer served a seven years' apprenticeship here, and was bound as an apprentice on the 1st February, 1870. When I became an apprentice there, Mr. Edward Read was the manager, and he was followed by Mr. Eardley, Mr. R.J. Smithson, and now Mr. C.W. Mason controls the establishment, he having been connected with the firm for about 45 years. At the beginning of my apprenticeship, the 'Messenger' was printed on an old-fashioned machine called the Tumbler, and had a very large cylinder. The motive power was supplied by four men who turned a huge wheel with a belt attached to the machine, and jolly hard work it was for the men, especially in summer time.
The site on which Mr. Scott's shoe shop now stands was formerly a saddle room belonging to the new Globe Hotel, and the entrance to it was through an archway leading to the yard and stables of the hotel. Mr. Robert Walkington was the landlord, and a merry old soul was he, his peculiarly shrill laughter and humorous expressions making him a very popular Boniface. The draw for the Malton Coursing Meeting used to take place here, in the long dining room upstairs. The draw was preceded by a dinner, and a large company always assembled, for the meeting was a very popular two-day fixture, bringing together some of the best dogs in the country. The draw usually extended to past midnight, and it often fell to my lot to assist in the printing of the card, and consequently I had to make several pilgrimages to the hotel in order to obtain the 'copy' as the draw proceeded. The cards were required by eight o'clock in the morning, and all were to print by hand-press, as modern printing machinery had had not then come into existence, consequently it was usually between four and five o'clock in the morning before the printers finished printing the required number of cards. There was a small butcher's shop adjoining the hotel, tenanted by Mr. Ineson. The shop was later added to Messrs. Snow and Sons premises.
The Malton Mechanics Institute (which later became the Malton Literary Institute) was established in June 1838. Its object was to promote the diffusion of useful knowledge among the working classes by the establishment of a library, by occasional lectures, and by instruction in the practical branches of art and science. The Theatre, in Yorkersgate, was converted into a lecture room. An early history can be seen here
Prior to the opening of the Corn Exchange many merchants carried out their business in the inns of the town. However a resolution was put to a public meeting in March 1845 'That in consequence of the increased facilities which the York and Scarboro Railway will afford to the trade and commerce of this district, and the consequent increased attendance which may be expected of both buyers and sellers in Malton market, this meeting deems it urgently necessary that steps be immediately taken for affording increased accommodation for business, and that for this purpose a Corn Exchange be erected, periodical wool and cattle markets established, and such other measures adopted as a committee to be chosen shall approve.'  In October 1845, it was reported that 'numerous workmen are now busily employed in preparing a site for the erection of a Corn Exchange in Yorkersgate.'  The Corn Exchange was opened on 18th April, 1846 and was deigned by A.L. Dickens, Esq., of Malton. Its dimensions are 60 feet by 30 feet. The opening was presided over by Lord Viscount Morpeth M.P. The Borough Bailiff, W.C. Copperthwaite read the rules by which the Corn Exchange would be managed, including stipulation that all merchants and dealers can become members of the exchange for an annual subscription of £1. Farmers could attend free. Opening hours on market days were 11-1 and 1-4. A public dinner in celebration of the opening took place at Mrs. Kimberley's Talbot Hotel between 3 and 4 o'clock. 
The Corn Exchange didn't seem to fulfil its original purposes for in 1850 it is reported as being converted into a theatre 'under the able direction of Mr. John Nelson, builder' 
 Yorkshire Gazette, 22 March 1845
 Yorkshire Gazette, 18 October 1845
 York Herald, 25 April 1846
 York Herald, 5 October 1850
Maltonians gained a cinema in 1915. A detailed history of the establishment and development of cinemas in Malton and Norton has been researched by Larraine Williams and can be seen here
In September 1914, it was reported that 'The building of the new Picture House in Yorkersgate, on the site of the Corn Exchange, is now proceeding apace. The demolition is practically complete, and the sites of two cottages have been taken in at the back.' 
All local lovers of the cinematograph will learn with interest that the new Exchange Picture Hall at Malton (pending an order from the Malton magistrates on Saturday, the 13th inst.), is to be opened on Monday, February 15th. For months past, workmen have been engaged on the deconstruction of the premises so well known as the Corn Exchange. As result of their labours, a complete transformation has been effected, and those who were familiar with the cold and cheerless conditions of the old building would hardly recognise it in its altered and comfortable appearance. The transformation is, indeed, striking, as the Corn Exchange was renowned for its coldness and forbidding aspect, and was regarded as something in the nature of a 'white elephant.' The corn merchants would have none of it, at Martinmas it was given a wide berth bu the majority of the farm servants, and it was relegated to the use of politicians of all shades of opinion, and for the holding of jumble sales or occasionally a poultry and cat show. Now it is pleasing to see the building performing a useful work in the town once more. The work of restoration has been complete in every respect and no expense has been spared. Fortunately, the alterations have not been confined to the interior, and the external improvements are a decided acquisition to the appearance of Yorkersgate. The heavy forbidding front has given place to an attractive facade, which, when illuminated, will prove a brilliant site. The entrance is charmingly arranged, being fitted with a mahogany front with swinging doors, whilst the floor is paved with black and white marble tiles, and the decorations of the entrance hall are tastefully carried out in white and gold. The interior presents a scene of luxury and comfort, and fully justifies the opinion of being one of the most up-to-date picture houses in Yorkshire. The screen is situated at the street entrance of the building, and the floor is sloped sufficiently to allow of a clear view being obtained from any part of the house. Seating accommodation is provided for 500 persons, and tip-up seats, upholstered in red velvet, are provided. The proscenium is carpeted, and the decorations of the walls and ceiling are executed in taste and harmony, and are a credit to the contractors. The exits are six in number. The hall can be cleared in two minutes, and as a Malton magistrate described it, 'The hall is the safest in Yorkshire.' The premises are practically fireproof, and the inhabitants of the district need have no fear in attending. One of the comforts essential to every place of entertainment is the heating, and in this the management have been successful in installing gas radiators, which will keep the building perfectly warmed. The lighting arrangements also leave nothing to be desired. A powerful Westinghouse electric generator has been installed, and the electric lights have been tastefully arranged. One of the latest and best projectors has been secured, and with up-to-date pictures, which the management intend to provide, there is no doubt that the Exchange Picture Hall will prove a tremendous 'draw.' The services of Mrs. Saville have been secured as accompanist. It might be added that the building has been equipped with up-to-date sanitary arrangements. The work has been successfuly carried out by the following:- Excavating and masonry, Mr. Anthony Lyons, Norton; Engine and electrical appliances, The Westinghouse Co.; Lighting, Mr. A. English, Leeds; and painting and decorating, Messrs. Allen Bros., Malton. In conclusion, a word or two about the 'bill of fare' may not be inopportune. The management intend to secure the most up-to-date pictures, and the opening of the hall is to be marked by the showing of two exclusives viz., 'Brewsters Millions,' and the 'Lure of London.' A continuous programme is to be provided, which will be changed twice weekly, while a matinee will be given every Saturday afternoon. From the above it will be realised that the Exchange Picture Hall is well equipped in every way, and a successful future may be safely predicted for it.
Maltonians went on to enjoy all the latest films, including those starring Charles Chaplin such as 'Pay Day' a 1922 short film written by, starring and directed by Charles Chaplin 
 Malton Messenger, 19 September 1914
 Malton Messenger, 6 February 1915
 Malton Messenger, 6 November 1923
The foundation stone of a new bank building (on the site of the old one) in Yorkersgate on Tuesday 10th July 1866 by Robert Hartley Bower, Esq.  In mid 1867 the buildings for the East Riding Bank were completed 'the splendid range of buildings erected for Messrs. Bower, Hall, and Co., in Yorkersgate, are now complete and will be opened for business of the East Riding Bank forthwith' 
 Yorkshire Gazette, 14 July 1866.
 Yorkshire Gazette, 27 July 1867.
A theatre was opened at Malton on 19 November, 1823 . Exactly where this was I have not established, but, it was under the management of a Mr. Smedley. The Rev. Binns preached a sermon 'in which he warned his hearers of the dangerous consequences which he thinks must ensue from an attendance on such places of amusement.' It is likely that The Theatre was in Yorkersgate since reports of the early days of the Mechanics Institute refer to the theatre in Yorkersgate being converted into a lecture room.
 Sheffield Independent, 6 December 1823
This institution was opened on Monday night last, in a large room in Mr. Waud's yard, Yorkersgate when upwards of 100 members and friends of the society met together. It is formed for the purpose of enticing working men from the public-house, and directing their thoughts and pursuits in a higher channel than they could possibly run in an attendance to the beer-shop. A committee has been formed of working men, and the affair is likely to be successful. The room is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and the table is supplied with newspapers, periodicals, &c. Coffee and refreshments are catered at a cheap rate, and the working man can now enjoy his pipe and at the same time indulge in literary pursuits and innocent amusements at the rate of one penny per week.
Yorkshire Gazette, 27 December 1862
Gallery - hover on picture to stop the slideshow
Contact me | Sitemap
Business | Census | Land & Property | Maltonians | Newspapers | Old Pictures & Maps
Railway | River Derwent | Streets | Topics & Events | Town Guides | Walks | Sources
Apprentices | Banks | Breweries | Cemetery | Education | Floods | Health
Industry | Photographers | Police & Fire | Pubs & Beerhouses | Secret Orders
Talbot Hotel | Utilities | Workhouse | World War One | Worship