This building was said to be constructed in the 1600s as a hunting lodge. In 1740 it became an inn.
When entering the town from York the building provides an imposing entrance. Over the years it was the natural home for meetings and dinners of local clubs, societies and organisations. Formal inquests and bankruptcy hearins were also held here.
The 'True Blue' the coach from Leeds to Scarborough stopped here, as did the mail coach.
The Talbot Hotel was in early Victorian times known also as 'Kimberleys Hotel'. Mr. Benjamin Kimberley died in November 1832  and his wife, Mary, continued the business. She placed notices in local newspapers in the summer of 1833:
MARY KIMBERLEY TALBOT HOTEL AND POSTING HOUSE, MALTON, RESPECTIVELY begs to return her sincere thanks to the Nobility, Gentry and Commercial Gentlemen, for the patronage bestowed by them upon the above Concern during the life-time of her Husband; and as it is her intention to continue the above extensive Establishment, she earnestly solicits a continuance of their support, assuring them that every exertion on her part shall be used to deserve it, by moderate charges, excellent wines, and superior accommodation of every description, the house and Grounds generally calling forth the unqualified approbation of every Visitor. COACHES - the TRUE BLUE and ROYAL MAIL every Day to and from Scarbro’; WHITBY COACH every other Day. Talbot Hotel, Malton, June 1833 
Mrs Kimberley took a further advertisement in 1838 to announce that she had taken the inn at Barton Hill 'where Post Horses will always be kept in future; an arrangement which she trusts will be satisfactory to her Friends and the Public in general as it will be the means of dividing the distance between York and Scarbro' into four easy Stages, the length of the old Stages being generally objected to'. Malton June 13th 
-  Hull Packet, 20 November 1832
-  Yorkshire Gazette, 22 June 1833
-  Yorkshire Gazette, 30 June 1838
An advertisement appears early in 1846 for the letting of the hotel, 'now in the occupation of Mrs. Kimberley, who is retiring from business' . It would appear that this was not successful in attracting a new tenant as early in 1847 a further advertisement appeared 'The above Hotel stands unrivalled for the Beauty of its situation, and has long been celebrated for being one of the best in the Kingdom, commanding a very Extensive and Profitable Business, and altogether presents a favourable opportunity to any Person desirous of engaging therein.' 
A Mrs Barker took the business on subsequently and in July 1847 she is advertising for a 'steady, sober, Postboy'  She is shown as proprietor in the 1851 census.
Mary Kimberley died late in 1851 .
In 1857, a newspaper advertisement in connection with the Turnpike Roads stated the meeting would take place at 'the House of Mr Edward Rose, the Talbot Hotel'  At the Talbot Hotel in the 1861 census are listed Edward Rose Hotel Keeper and Wine Merchant and Ann Barker, assistant manager.
George Fitchett took the hotel in 1879, describing it in an advertisement as 'Unsurpassable' for 'Situation, Comfort, Wines and Cuisine' and stating that 'This charming and popular hotel is now under entirely new management'  George Fitchett died in August 1887, his death being announced in the Driffield Times stating he had been landlord of the Talbot Hotel for seven years and had left there at Michaelmas 1886 .
The 1891 census shows (Sarah) Ellen Knight and Emily Newcombe as proprietoresses of the hotel. Ellen Knight is still there as 'Hotelkeeper' in the 1901 census. She left the Talbot Hotel to take the Bell Hotel in Driffield, and died on 22 October 1910  In 1911, the manageress is Mary Emma Mawfield
-  Yorkshire Gazette, 21 February 1846
-  Yorkshire Gazette, 2 January 1847
-  Yorkshire Gazette, 3 July 1847
-  Yorkshire Gazette, 20 December 1851
-  Yorkshire Gazette, 26 September 1857
-  York Herald, 2 October 1879
-  Driffield Times, 20 August 1887
-  Driffield Times, 29 October 1910
MALTON - TALBOT HOTEL
Hunting Gentlemen, Tourists and Visitors generally to this delightful neighbourhood are invited to patronise this charming and popular Hotel, now under entirely New Management.
GEO. FITCHETT (from London), Proprietor
York Herald, 3 January 1880
Gallery - Hover on picture to stop the slideshow
This website is constructed using RapidWeaver. Specific theme design is © Copyright ThemeFlood